The following information applies equally to Congestion Charge enforcement and Low Emission Zone enforcement.
The legal grounds - reasons - under which you can appeal against your Congestion Charge Penalty Charge Notice or Low Emission Zone Penalty Charge Notice are set out below:
- that the recipient
- never was the registered keeper in relation to the vehicle in question; or
- had ceased to be the person liable before the date on which the vehicle was used or kept on a road in a charging area; or
- became the person liable after that date;
- that the charge payable for the use or keeping of the vehicle on a road on the occasion in question was paid at the time and in the manner required by the charging scheme;
- that no penalty charge is payable under the charging scheme;
- that the vehicle had been used or kept, or permitted to be used or kept on a road by a person who was in control of the vehicle without the consent of the registered keeper;
- that the penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable in the circumstances of the case;
- that the recipient is a vehicle hire-firm and;
- the vehicle in question was at the material time hired from that firm under a hiring agreement; and
- the person hiring it had signed a statement of liability acknowledging his liability in respect of any penalty charge notice imposed in relation to the vehicle during the currency of the hiring agreement.